Effective July 12, 2021 Parent Education is no longer required for divorcing parents who file after July 11th. Those who filed prior are required to complete the parent education course by September 1st.
The Parents and Children in Transition (PACT) program consists of two 2-1/2 hour long parent education sessions offered by the Hampshire County Bar Association. It is a program of support, and aims to empower parents by imparting information to best help children adjust to divorce. The sessions consist of video, short presentations, and discussion. A male/female team of child development and parent education specialists lead the programs. Topics include:
- What children need to know
- Pitfalls for parents to avoid
- Typical reactions of children to separation/divorce
- What parents can do to help children adjust
- Problem solving
- Dispute resolution and cooperative parenting